when all else fails...CTL+ALT+DEL

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
ejdougherty.com

Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10

E-mail Print PDF

This past Halloween weekend I decided to upgrade my laptop from 10.04 to 10.10 ( Maverick).  Overall the process seemed fine, however I ran into a few issues so far :

1- Eclipse plug-ins (ie cdt, andriod) were caught in a limbo state.  Eclipse showed that they were installed but the IDE wasn't using them correctly.  For example, I could not directly edit a c file from a recent project - instead gedit was launched as the editor.  Quick fix: renamed .eclipse folder home and reinstalled the plug-ins within the IDE.  Also needed to remove $WORKSPACE/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.make.core/$PROJECT.sc as it was linked to  i486-linux-gnu which no longer exists (update created i686-linux-gnu) - was getting "invalid path" errors.

2- Firefox would crash when loading.  Quick fix (after some Googling): removed the  Open JAVA Icetea plug-in.

Permanent fix: install Sun JAVA plug-in for Firefox

- add "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu maverick partner" to /etc/apt/sources.list

- $ sudo apt-get update

- $ sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin

- $ sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mozilla-javaplugin.so mozilla-javaplugin.so /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so 1

 

 

Ubuntu, Eclipse and Android SDK

E-mail Print PDF

While setting up the Android development environment on my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop (oh yeah, I upgraded to 10.04 over the weekend), I ran into an error installing Android Eclipse plug-in ... "requires 'org.eclipse.gef 0.0.0'".  After a little Google research, I found out that the Ubuntu distribution of Eclipse was missing the standard update site lists (Bug #482244). After adding the following sites below in Eclipse, the Android plug-in successfully installed.

Name: The Eclipse Project Updates
Location: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.5

Name: Galileo
Location: http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo

Reminder... the Android SDK doesn't include a preconfigured AVD (Android Virtual Device), so you'll need to create an AVD before you can run any application in the emulator.

 

Making the Switch to Ubuntu - Outlook attachments

E-mail Print PDF

Continuing with the move to Ubuntu at work, I recently came across an issue with folks forwarding RTF e-mails with attachments from Outlook. In Evolution the attachment came over in an unrecognized format named winmail.dat. After a little Googling I came across some discussions about a Microsoft proprietary attachment format called TNEF (Transport Neutral Encapsulation Format) which is sort of like a file archive and not really neutral. Using the Package Manager I found an Evolution experimental plug-ins package which included TNEF attachment support. Shortly after installation and a system reboot I was able to access the underlying Word attachment.

 

Side note: I also installed the ytnef command-line utility which can extract the e-mail body and attachment from a winmail.dat file.  This works just as well if you are concerned with the 'experimental' aspect of the plug-in.

 

 

Connecting Windows 7 Home Pro to Linux Samba shares

E-mail Print PDF

Interestingly enough, it looks like Windows 7 Home Pro has issues connecting to Linux Samba shares (good 'ol Microsloth).  After a little Googling, I found a resolution for Home Pro which modifies the LAN manager authentication level using the Windows registry utility.

Using regedit, create a new DWORD key \\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\LmCompatibilityLevel and set the value to 1. Reboot, then try again.  Good luck.

 

Making the Switch to Ubuntu

E-mail Print PDF

So, I recently purchased a new Acer Aspire laptop to do some Semantic Web development.  I installed Ubuntu Linux and opted for dual booting between the pre-installed Windows 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) 32-bit.  While the system was installing I was thinking why not try and consolidate the three laptops I am currently using for personal use (Mac OSX), work (Windows XP Pro) and now development (Ubuntu).  I know the toughest part will be the work laptop as unfortunately Microsoft appilcations are the norm the capability with non-Microsoft applications can be tough.

After coping over the files from my work laptop, I exported my Outlook data to Outlook personal files (*.pst) which I then imported into Evolution.  Next up I copied over the Berkely mailbox files (*.mbox) from the Thunderbird directory on my Mac and imported them into Evolution.

During the process my wireless connection on the new Ubuntu laptop would drop after 30 or so minutes.  I noticed in the system logs that there were a lot of "ath9k: Unable to reset channel..." After Googling a bit I found a recommendation for the ath9k driver for the Atheros wireless device to install the following backport linux modules:

linux-backports-modules-karmic

linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic

So far this change is working like a champ (phew!).
** update: seems like version Ubuntu 10.04 fixes the wireless and microphone issue on my Aspire 5542

Here is an initial list of applications that I am planning to use as the Linux counterpart to Microsoft:

MS Outlook -> Evolution

MS Office -> OpenOffice

YahooIM -> Pigin (the cool thing with Pigin is that it supports many IM services)

MS IE -> Firefox

Dreamweaver -> KompoZer  (was actually surprised that Dreamweaver did not have a Linux version - only Mac and Windows)
** update - not a fan of KonpoZer - ended up just making content changes in Eclipse IDE

MediaPlayer -> SMPlayer

 

 

 
More Articles...


Page 4 of 5